Well, you asked for it so here it is! I have received numerous emails from my readers asking why I didn't do a "Random Thoughts" blog post like many of my colleagues. Guys like Eric Cressey, Mark Young, Tony Gentilcore, Bret Contreras and Mike Robertson are the kings of "Random Thought" posts....even Mike Boyle and Lee Taft have contributed their randomness to their readership. How would I fit into the mix? I have to admit, I was reluctant to the idea. However, one characteristic I pride myself in is my willingness to try new things and challenge myself while attempting them. So....here it goes!
1. Grab a Barbell, Med Ball, Resistance Band, ANYTHING!- Recently, a college buddy of mine passed his bar exam and began practicing law in NYC. I don’t know why but this made me think about the scale of justice and what it stands for. In a nutshell....the scale is how the jury reaches it's verdict. Right from wrong, good from bad, guilty from not guilty. Athleticism is exactly like the scale of justice. On one side Skill and on the other Performance. I can't tell you how many players I have trained who think "training" means putting a basketball in their hands. Skill is only 50% of the picture. Work hard to reach a happy medium between performance and skill and anything is possible!!!. Just want to work on your handles?? Nike Basketball and the And 1 Mixtape Tour are always looking for qualified individuals.
2. Mike Boyle Does it Again: I usually don't plug products on my site but it's hard not to mention Mike's latest product. If you are looking for a fully comprehensive, tell all, nuts and bolts strength and conditioning source look no further than Functional Strength Coach 3.0 I recently ordered a copy and have been glued to the TV ever since. I highly recommend you check out this product! I do not receive any commission with your purchase. I am just spreading the word about a product that I strongly believe in.
3. YouTube Sensations: What do collegiate S&C interns do to keep their sanity during the long hours they put in day in and day out? A little bit of YouTube medicine always did the trick for me. Here are a few of my favorite clips that always seemed to put a smile on my face no matter how many times I watched them (they still do). Let's get physical (mind boggling what this guy thought he was doing). All that matters is that you leave the ground....right? Cue the circus music Speechless Spotter...?Nahhh
4. Social Networks: I have embraced the world of social networking with open arms and it has rewarded me with new friends and knowledge. If you are hesitant about twitter, facebook or LinkedIn don’t be. I have been involved in all three networks and have met a number of coaches that I would have never met otherwise. Let's face it, $400 dollars plus air fare and accommodations is expensive to attend a conference. These networks allow you to attend a conference 24/7 365 days a year. People are always sharing new content and willing to network with professionals with the same interests. Let's connect further, shoot me a request if you are on facebook, twitter or linkedin.
5. Aren't an advocate of the FMS? Here is some research that may change your mind.
Enjoy the weekend! Spend time with the people you love!
Yours in performance,